Friday, February 16, 2007

canele

After moving 3 times, it feels great to finally take all of or mostly all of our things from our suitcases. There's still some boxes in the basement but it's mostly winter clothes and there's no need because summer has arrived. There's still the occasional rain shower, but it's not freezing outside and it's a sure bet that the sun will peek through before it gets dark.

I've realized that I really like having fruit trees close by. It's so fun to pick a fruit and eat it whenever you want. There are two plum trees and one peach tree. We've gone plum picking 3 or 4 times from the backyard. Maya and PJ enjoy the fruit picking. Before plucking it from the tree we'll look at it, make sure it's the right color and then pluck it into the bucket.

The sun is awfully hot here so much so that if we're at Tahunanui Beach, Maya and PJ ask for ice-cream. They're regulars at the ice-cream truck. Maya once said, "If it's hot we have to eat ice-cream." The search is still on for good ice cream.

I cooked a lot of things from my Tartine cook book when we first arrived because I love to eat sweets. After being here for awhile, I found the yummy stuff. There's a baker at the founder's market that bakes canele. Other things that I've been eating: chocolate panetoni, olli balls (deep fried muffin), savory muffins, and cakes from the swedish bakery in Richmond.

I've stopped getting bit so much by the sand fly. Or maybe I've stopped itching after it bites.

No comments: